- A genus of gressorial orthopterous insects, of the family Mantidæ, having foliaceous appendages on the head and legs, short antennæ, and a very slim thorax. E. pauperata is a prettily colored European species of rear-horse or praying-mantis. noun …☝️ Source: The Century Dictionary (view on wordnik.com)
- A genus of lepidopterous insects. noun …☝️ Source: The Century Dictionary (view on wordnik.com)
- In botany, the principal genus of Entomophthoreœ, including, as now understood, the species formerly referred to the genus Entomophthora. noun …☝️ Source: The Century Dictionary (view on wordnik.com)
Not seeing the definition you're looking for? Add your own!
Examples from YouTube videos
Articles from Wikipedia
- Empusa Empusa or Empousa is a shape-shifting female being in Greek mythology, said to possess a single leg of copper, commanded by Hecate, whose precise nature is obscure. In Late Antiquity, the empousai has been described as a category of phantoms or spectres, equated with the lamiai and mormolykeia, thought to seduce and feed on young men.
- Empusa (insect) Empusa is a genus of mantises in the family Empusidae, containing the following species:
- Empusa (disambiguation) Empusa may refer to:In ancient Greek mythology, the Empusa was a female supernatural monster or demoness Empusa, a 2009 movie co-starring Paul Naschy, made in Spain Empusa (insect) is a genus of insects in the family Empusidae Empusa (plant) is a genus of plants in the family Orchidaceae
- Empusa binotata Empusa binotata is a species of praying mantis in family Empusidae.
- Carrikerella empusa Carrikerella empusa is a species of praying mantis in the genus Carrikerella in the order Mantodea.
- Empusa pennata Empusa pennata, or the conehead mantis, is a species of praying mantis in genus Empusa native to the Mediterranean Region. It can be found in Portugal, Spain, southern France, Italy and on the mediterranean coasts of Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya and Egypt. Because of its fragmented, low density populations, it is very rarely found in nature.
- Empusa fasciata Empusa fasciata is a species of praying mantis in the genus Empusa in the order Mantodea.
- Squilla empusa Squilla empusa is a species of mantis shrimp found in coastal areas of the western Atlantic Ocean. It excavates and occupies a burrow in soft sediment from which it emerges, mainly at night, to feed on fish and invertebrate prey.
- 👉 View all 8 articles...
Translations from Ord
- 👉 View all 26 translations...
translations map goes here