- One whose startlingly unconventional behavior, work, or thought embarrasses or disturbs others. noun …☝️ Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition (view on wordnik.com)
unconventionalbadly-behaved person who causes embarrassmentor shock to others. noun …☝️ Source: Wiktionary (view on wordnik.com)
- a person whose unconventional behavior embarrasses others noun …☝️ Source: WordNet 3.0 (view on wordnik.com)
Not seeing the definition you're looking for? Add your own!
- 1851, French, literally "terrible child" (see infant + terrible). One whose unorthodox or shocking speech or manners embarrass his associates as a naughty child embarrasses his elders. French also has enfant gâté, "spoiled child," hence "person given excessive adulation."1851
Examples from YouTube videos
Articles from Wikipedia
- Enfant terrible Enfant terrible is a French expression, traditionally referring to a child who is terrifyingly candid by saying embarrassing things to parents or others. However, the expression has drawn multiple usage in careers of art, fashion, music, and other creative arts. In these careers, it implies a successful, and often young, "genius" who is very unorthodox, striking, and in some cases, offensive, or rebellious.
- Enfant Terrible (film) Enfant Terrible is a 2020 German drama film directed by Oskar Roehler about the German film director Rainer Werner Fassbinder. It was selected to be shown at the 2020 Cannes Film Festival.
- Enfant terrible (folklore) The enfant terrible is a character appearing in the tales and myths of many cultures of West and Central Africa, mainly amongst the traditions of the Bambara and Madinka. Recognizable by the unusual circumstances surrounding their birth and an extraordinary precocity the enfant terrible are guilty of transgressive behavior, often destructive or suicidal, leaving the societies from which they spawned helpless to stop them. Depending on circumstances, they may eventually return to the divine world from which they come or change into benevolent powers.
Translations from Ord
- enfant terribleAfrikaans
- enfant terribleCzech
- enfant terribleDanish
- enfant terribleGerman
- enfant terribleSpanish
- enfant terribleBasque
- enfant terribleGalician
- enfant terribleCroatian
- enfant terribleDutch
- enfant terriblePolish
- enfant terriblePortuguese
- enfant terribleRomanian
- enfant terribleRussian
- enfant terribleSerbo-Croatian
- l'enfant terribleBulgarian
- بچه تخسPersian
- problema infanoEsperanto
- lista över franska uttryck i svenska språketSwedish
- 👉 View all 20 translations...
translations map goes here