- An object that is believed to have magical or spiritual powers, especially such an object associated with animistic or shamanistic religious practices. noun …☝️ Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition (view on wordnik.com)
- An object of unreasonably excessive attention or reverence. noun …☝️ Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition (view on wordnik.com)
- Something, such as a material object or nonsexual part of the body, that arouses sexual desire and may become necessary for sexual gratification. noun …☝️ Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition (view on wordnik.com)
- An abnormally obsessive preoccupation or attachment; a fixation. noun …☝️ Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition (view on wordnik.com)
- Any material object regarded with awe, as having mysterious powers residing in it or as being the representative or habitation of a deity to which worship may be paid, and from which supernatural aid is to be expected. noun …☝️ Source: The Century Dictionary (view on wordnik.com)
- Hence An object of blind devotion; an idol: as, gold has become his fetish. noun …☝️ Source: The Century Dictionary (view on wordnik.com)
- Same as
fetish-man. noun …☝️ Source: The Century Dictionary (view on wordnik.com)
fetich, n., fetichism, n., fetichistic, a. …☝️ Source: The GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English (view on wordnik.com)
- a charm superstitiously believed to embody magical powers noun …☝️ Source: WordNet 3.0 (view on wordnik.com)
- a form of sexual desire in which gratification depends to an abnormal degree on some object or item of clothing or part of the body noun …☝️ Source: WordNet 3.0 (view on wordnik.com)
- excessive or irrational devotion to some activity noun …☝️ Source: WordNet 3.0 (view on wordnik.com)
- 👉 View all 11 definitions...
Not seeing the definition you're looking for? Add your own!
- "material object regarded with awe as having mysterious powers or being the representative of a deity that may be worshipped through it," 1610s, fatisso, from Portuguese feitiço "charm, sorcery, allurement," noun use of an adjective meaning "artificial." The Portuguese adjective is from Latin facticius "made by art, artificial," from facere "to make, do, produce, etc." (see factitious, and compare French factice "artificial," restored from Old French faitise, from Latin facticius). Via the French word, Middle English had fetis, fetice (adj.) "cleverly made, neat, elegant" (of things), "handsome, pretty, neat" (of persons). But in the Middle Ages the Romanic derivatives of the word took on magical senses; compare Portuguese feiticeria "sorcery, witchcraft," feiticeiro "sorcerer, wizard." Latin facticius in Spanish has become hechizo "artificial, imitated," also "bewitchment, fascination." The specific Portuguese use of the word that brought it to English probably began among Portuguese sailors and traders who used the word as a name for charms and talismans worshipped by the inhabitants of the Guinea coast of Africa. It was picked up and popularized in anthropology by Charles de Brosses' "Du culte des dieux fétiches" (1760), which influenced the word's spelling in English (French fétiche also is borrowed 18c. from the Portuguese word). Figurative sense of "something irrationally revered, object of blind devotion" appears to be an extension made by the New England Transcendentalists (1837). For sexual sense (1897), see fetishism.1610, 1760, 1837, 1897
Examples from YouTube videos
Articles from Wikipedia
- Fetish (song) "Fetish" is a song by American singer Selena Gomez featuring guest vocals from American rapper Gucci Mane. The song was written by Gomez, Gucci Mane, Chloe Angelides, Brett McLaughlin, Gino Barletta, Jonas Jeberg, Joe Khajadourian, and Alex Schwartz.
- Fetish Fetish may refer to:
- Fetishism A fetish is an object believed to have supernatural powers, or in particular, a human-made object that has power over others. Essentially, fetishism is the attribution of inherent value, or powers, to an object.
- Sexual fetishism Sexual fetishism or erotic fetishism is a sexual fixation on a nonliving object or nongenital body part. The object of interest is called the fetish; the person who has a fetish for that object is a fetishist. A sexual fetish may be regarded as a non-pathological aid to sexual excitement, or as a mental disorder if it causes significant psychosocial distress for the person or has detrimental effects on important areas of their life. Sexual arousal from a particular body part can be further classified as partialism.
- Imiut fetish The Imiut fetish (jmy-wt) is a religious object that has been documented throughout the history of ancient Egypt. It was a stuffed, headless animal skin, often of a feline or bull. This fetish was tied by the tail to a pole, terminating in a lotus bud and inserted into a stand. The item was present in ancient Egyptian funerary rites from at least the earliest dynasties. Although its origin and purpose is unknown, the imiut fetish dates as far back as the First Dynasty.
- Fetish club A fetish club is a nightclub, bar, social club or other entertainment hub which caters to clientele interested in some of fetish fashion, bondage, dominance/submission, and/or sadism and masochism (BDSM). Some clubs have active "play" going on inside the club while others are a socialising place for like-minded people. Fetish Community events take place at specialty fare hosted at other public venues and night clubs.
- International Fetish Day International Fetish Day is a day supporting the BDSM community. It originated in the United Kingdom as "National Fetish Day" and was first held on 21 January 2008. The first International Fetish Day was held on 16 January 2009. The main purpose of International Fetish Day is to increase awareness and support of the fetish community, whilst also opposing the UK law criminalizing possession of "extreme pornography". It is also designed to encourage members of the community to be more open about their sexuality.
- Crush fetish A crush fetish is a fetish and a paraphilia in which sexual arousal is associated with observing objects being crushed or being crushed oneself. The crushed objects vary from inanimate items, to injurious and/or fatal crushing of invertebrates, or vertebrates.
- Fetish model A fetish model is a model who models fetish clothing or devices that augment his or her body in a fetish-like manner or in fetishistic situations, though he or she may not work exclusively in that form of modeling.
- The Meat Fetish "The Meat Fetish" is a 1904 essay by Ernest Crosby on vegetarianism and animal rights. It was subsequently published as a pamphlet the following year, with an additional essay by Élisée Reclus, entitled The Meat Fetish: Two Essays on Vegetarianism.
- 👉 View all 10 articles...
Translations from Ord
translations map goes here