- Unlikely to take place or be true. adjective …☝️ Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition (view on wordnik.com)
- Not probable; not likely to be true; not to be expected under the circumstances of the case. …☝️ Source: The Century Dictionary (view on wordnik.com)
- Not probable; unlikely to be true; not to be expected under the circumstances or in the usual course of events. adjective …☝️ Source: The GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English (view on wordnik.com)
- Not likely to be true. adjective …☝️ Source: Wiktionary (view on wordnik.com)
- Not likely to happen. adjective …☝️ Source: Wiktionary (view on wordnik.com)
- having a probability too low to inspire belief adjective …☝️ Source: WordNet 3.0 (view on wordnik.com)
- too improbable to admit of belief adjective …☝️ Source: WordNet 3.0 (view on wordnik.com)
- not likely to be true or to occur or to have occurred adjective …☝️ Source: WordNet 3.0 (view on wordnik.com)
- 👉 View all 8 definitions...
Not seeing the definition you're looking for? Add your own!
- 1590s, from assimilated form of in- (1) "not, opposite of" + probable, or else from Latin improbabilis. Related: Improbably.1590
Examples from YouTube videos
Articles from Wikipedia
- Statistically improbable phrase A statistically improbable phrase (SIP) is a phrase or set of words that occurs more frequently in a document than in some larger corpus. Amazon.com uses this concept in determining keywords for a given book or chapter, since keywords of a book or chapter are likely to appear disproportionately within that section. Christian Rudder has also used this concept with data from online dating profiles and Twitter posts to determine the phrases most characteristic of a given race or gender in his book Dataclysm.
- Improbable Improbable describes something that has a low probability. It may also refer toImprobable (company), a British company founded in 2012 Improbable (novel), a 2005 science fiction thriller novel by Adam Fawer Improbable, an episode in the ninth season of the science fiction television series Improbable (horse), a racehorse Improbable, an English theatre company
- Improbable (novel) Improbable is a 2005 science fiction thriller novel by Adam Fawer, about a gambler who gains the power to predict the future. It was awarded the 2006 International Thriller Writers Award for best first novel.
- Improbable (horse) Improbable is an American Thoroughbred racehorse who is one of the top ranked horses of 2020 after winning the Hollywood Gold Cup, Whitney and Awesome Again Stakes. He also won the Los Alamitos Futurity at age two in 2018 and finished fourth in the 2019 Kentucky Derby as the post-time favorite.
- Improbable Fiction Improbable Fiction is a 2005 play by British playwright Alan Ayckbourn. It is about a writers' circle, on the night the chairman, Arnold, seems to wander into the imaginations of the other writers.
- Improbable (The X-Files) "Improbable" is the thirteenth episode of the ninth season and the 195th episode overall of the science fiction television series The X-Files. The episode first aired in the United States and Canada on April 7, 2002, on Fox, and subsequently aired in the United Kingdom. It was written and directed by series creator and executive producer Chris Carter. The episode is a "monster-of-the-week" episode, a stand-alone plot which is unconnected to the mythology, or overarching fictional history, of The X-Files. The episode earned a Nielsen rating of 5.1 and was viewed by 9.1 million viewers. The episode received mostly positive reviews from critics.
- Improbable Cause "Improbable Cause" is the 66th episode of the television series Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, the 20th episode of the third season. In the 24th century in the Star Trek science fiction universe, the staff of a Bajoran space station contend with quadrant events. The story concludes in the following episode, "The Die is Cast".
- Improbable (company) Improbable Worlds Limited is a British multinational technology company founded in 2012, and headquartered in London, England. It makes distributed simulation software for video games and corporate use.
- Improbable (theatre company) Improbable is an English theatre company founded in 1996 by Lee Simpson, Phelim McDermott, Julian Crouch and producer Nick Sweeting. Improbable is funded by Arts Council England in London. According to their statement: "Improbable has grown out of a way of working that means being prepared to create work by the seat of your pants and the skin of your teeth, stepping onstage before you are ready and allowing the audience to have an integral part in the creation of a show."
- Annals of Improbable Research The Annals of Improbable Research (AIR) is a bimonthly magazine devoted to scientific humor, in the form of a satirical take on the standard academic journal. AIR, published six times a year since 1995, usually showcases at least one piece of scientific research being done on a strange or unexpected topic, but most of their articles concern real or fictional absurd experiments, such as a comparison of apples and oranges using infrared spectroscopy. Other features include such things as ratings of the cafeterias at scientific institutes, fake classifieds and advertisements for a medical plan called HMO-NO, and a very odd letters page. The magazine is headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- 👉 View all 10 articles...
Translations from Ord
translations map goes here