- In the act of committing something wrong. adverb & adjective …☝️ Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition (view on wordnik.com)
- With red or bloody hands; hence, in the very act, as if with red or bloody hands: said originally of a person taken in the act of homicide, but extended figuratively to one caught in the perpetration of any crime: generally in the phrase to be taken red-handed. …☝️ Source: The Century Dictionary (view on wordnik.com)
- With clear evidence of guilt. adjective …☝️ Source: Wiktionary (view on wordnik.com)
- in the act of committing a crime or other reprehensible act adjective …☝️ Source: WordNet 3.0 (view on wordnik.com)
- doing something reprehensible or showing clear evidence of having done something reprehensible adverb …☝️ Source: WordNet 3.0 (view on wordnik.com)
Not seeing the definition you're looking for? Add your own!
- 1781, earlier red-hand (early 15c.), originally in Scottish legal writing, from red (adj.1) + -handed; presumably from the image of a murderer with hands still stained with blood.1781
Examples from YouTube videos
Articles from Wikipedia
- Red-handed Red-handed may refer to:
- Red-handed tamarin The red-handed tamarin, also known as the golden-handed tamarin or Midas tamarin, is a New World monkey belonging to the family Callitrichidae.
- Red-handed howler The red-handed howler is a vulnerable species of howler monkey, a type of New World monkey. It is endemic to Brazil, found in the southeastern Amazon and disjunctly in the Atlantic Forest between Rio Grande do Norte and Sergipe.
Translations from Ord
translations map goes here