- Cold cooked rice dressed with vinegar that is shaped into pieces and topped with raw or cooked fish, or formed into a roll with fish, egg, or vegetables and often wrapped in seaweed. noun …☝️ Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition (view on wordnik.com)
- A dish, based on Japanese cuisine, the chief ingredient of which is raw fish;
sashimi. noun …☝️ Source: Wiktionary (view on wordnik.com)
- A Japanese dish made of small portions of sticky white rice flavoured with vinegar, usually wrapped in
seaweedand filled or topped with vegetables or sashimi. noun …☝️ Source: Wiktionary (view on wordnik.com)
- rice (with raw fish) wrapped in seaweed noun …☝️ Source: WordNet 3.0 (view on wordnik.com)
Not seeing the definition you're looking for? Add your own!
- 1893, from Japanese, where it is said originally to refer to the vinegared rice, not the raw fish.1893
Examples from YouTube videos
Articles from Wikipedia
Translations from Ord
- 👉 View all 90 translations...
translations map goes here