- A small, brightly colored, live-bearing freshwater fish (Xiphophorus hellerii) of Mexico and Central America, having a long tapering extension of the caudal fin in the male and popular in home aquariums. noun …☝️ Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition (view on wordnik.com)
- A crustacean of the group Xiphosura, as the horseshoe- or king-crab. See cuts under
horseshoe-craband Limulus. noun …☝️ Source: The Century Dictionary (view on wordnik.com)
- Any bug of the genus Uroxiphus, as U. caryæ, the walnut swordtail. noun …☝️ Source: The Century Dictionary (view on wordnik.com)
- Same as
sword-bearer. noun …☝️ Source: The Century Dictionary (view on wordnik.com)
- The limulus. noun …☝️ Source: The GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English (view on wordnik.com)
- Any hemipterous insect of the genus Uroxiphus, found upon forest trees. noun …☝️ Source: The GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English (view on wordnik.com)
- A species of
freshwater fish, Xiphophorus hellerii noun …☝️ Source: Wiktionary (view on wordnik.com)
- freshwater fish of Central America having a long swordlike tail; popular aquarium fish noun …☝️ Source: WordNet 3.0 (view on wordnik.com)
- 👉 View all 8 definitions...
Not seeing the definition you're looking for? Add your own!
Examples from YouTube videos
Articles from Wikipedia
- Green swordtail The green swordtail is a species of freshwater/brackish fish in family Poeciliidae of order Cyprinodontiformes. A live-bearer, it is closely related to the southern platyfish or 'platy' and can crossbreed with it. It is native to an area of North and Central America stretching from Veracruz, Mexico, to northwestern Honduras.
- Marbled swordtail The marbled swordtail is a species of freshwater fish in the family Poeciliidae. It was endemic to the Rio Salado system in northeastern Mexico.
- Chiapas swordtail The Chiapas swordtail or upland swordtail is a species of livebearing freshwater fish of family Poeciliidae, and genus Xiphophorus. It is, therefore, in the same genus as the common platy and the swordtail. The Chiapas swordtail was discovered and first described by Donn E. Rosen in 1960, along with four other species of Xiphophorus.
- Yellow swordtail The yellow swordtail is a species of freshwater fish in the family Poeciliidae. It is endemic to the upper Coatzacoalcos River basin in southern Mexico. It is typically found in brooks and streams with slow current; it is less frequent in areas with strong current. The yellow swordtail is considered a threatened species by Mexican authorities. It reaches up to 5.1 cm (2.0 in) in standard length.
Translations from Ord
- حامل الخنجرArabic
- ماهی دمشمشیریPersian
- 👉 View all 27 translations...
translations map goes here